Friday, August 24, 2007

Laughter Pond - Family Fishing Fun

Fried catfish are as much a Southern tradition as grits, hushpuppies and sweet tea. I love catfish smothered in a good homemade tarter sauce. While not my absolute favorite fish to eat, they’re relatively easy to catch and very abundant.
Laughter pond in Mill Spring provides an easily accessible and fun fishing trip for the whole family! Driving on Hwy 108 east, from Columbus, the lake is located just a ¼ mile shy of Hwy 9. It’s owned by the Woodland Mills Plant. Last year, in cooperation with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and our local Parks and Recreation, it was opened to the public.
I’ve fished the lake a few times, in the past, with good success. Most recently I took a friend’s three children (ages 5, 8 and 13) there on their first fishing excursion. Since they were beginners, I spent a good portion of my time untangling fishing line and baiting hooks. We caught a few catfish, a cool turtle and some really nice bluegills from the fishing platform. The kids had a great time and all posed proudly, for the camera, showing off their very first fish. Memories are precious things aren’t they?
After a fun afternoon we stopped for some ice cream at Mendenhalls Auto Sales/Bait Shop/Plant Nursery. Quite a diverse place, to say the least! The folks that run it are very nice and I recommend you stop there for bait and fishing info, before heading to the lake. They informed me that the state is stocking 1,000 catfish a month at the pond. While most of the fish are small, it should be a great catfish lake in a few years. Most of the catfish you’ll catch will be in the 8 to 12 inch range, but larger fish, 2-3 pounders, are there also.
There are no size restrictions and the daily limit is six catfish per licensed person.
I recommend spinning or spincast tackle spooled with no more than 8 lb. test. Chicken livers work great for catfish but don’t stay on single hooks well (small treble hooks, size 8 work better). I actually prefer to use cut-bait when fishing for catfish though. Cut ¾ inch pieces of large minnows or small bluegills and thread them on a good quality hook. I like Eagle claw single hooks, in sizes 1/0 to 3/0, with cut-bait. Don’t attach the hook to a snap-swivel! Attaching the hook directly to the line is more natural and will catch more fish. I also apply a few weights (split shots are fine) about 18 inches up the line. I bring two poles and always keep one of my baits on the bottom. I usually dangle the other bait below a small bobber and adjust it, from time to time, to cover different depths until the fish tell me what they want. Keep an eye on your poles or you may lose one to the “Fish God,” big catfish are strong.
There is plenty of parking, in the designated lot, at Polk County Middle School. If you’re driving from Columbus, turn left on Wolverine Trail and then right into the lot next to the tennis courts. There are 32 parking spaces, but I’ve never seen more than five vehicles. Porta-potties are available also. Beside food and such, you may want to bring a camera, sunscreen and a good hat. Don’t forget to bring a stringer if you intend to keep a few fish. I prefer to put them on ice as soon as possible, but a stringer placed in a shady area will work fine.
Fishing is such a wonderful family experience. I suggest you take a few fish home for dinner and have the kids help you clean them. It’s good that children learn where food comes from. I believe it’s a healthy lesson and will teach them respect and gratitude for all living things.
Sooo… go this weekend! And… don’t forget to have FUN… it’s called Laughter Pond for a reason…

No comments: